Dr. Arturo S. García Jiménez
Position held at THINKlab
Time at THINKlab
March 2014 to September 2017
My Experience at THINKlab
During my time at the THINKlab I had the possibility to work with cutting edge technology in several research projects. However, more importantly, I had the chance to work with very professional people capable not only to get, manage and develop research and commercial projects, but also wonderful colleagues that were always willing to help professionally and personally. One of the main objectives of the THINKlab is about collaboration and how to provide collaborative environments, and I am happy to confirm that collaboration within the THINKlab team is also one of its strengths.
I worked on two European-funded projects: CROSSDRIVE, in which I had the chance to be Salford´s main researcher, and Desing4Energy, in which I had a small collaboration. Apart from research, I also worked in some commercial projects, one of them closely related to the MOBILISE project.
How has THINKlab supported/assisted your career and/or academic progression?
One of the things I find fascinating about research is that you need to be learning new things every day. In that sense, my time at the THINKlab helped me to develop my research career further. My work in CROSSDRIVE taught me about project management and collaboration with a team of researchers distributed across Europe. The experience gained with the commercial work was more technical, since it helped me to learn and use cutting edge 3D and game development technology.
- A.J. Fairchild; S. P. Campion; A.S. García; R. Wolff; T. Fernando; D. J. Roberts, A Mixed Reality Telepresence System for Collaborative Space Operation, in IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 2016. Impact factor: 2.254.
- A. Gerndt; W. Engelke; M. Giuranna; A.C. Vandaele; L. Neary; S. Aoki; Y. Kasaba; A.S. García; T. Fernando; D.J. Roberts. CROSS DRIVE: A New Interactive and Immersive Approach for Exploring 3D Time-Dependent Mars Atmospheric Data in Distributed Teams. AAS/Division for Planetary Sciences Meeting Abstracts. Vol. 48. 2016.
- D.J. Roberts; A.J. Fairchild; S.P. Campion; A.S. García; R. Wolff. Bringing the client and therapist together in virtual reality telepresence exposure therapy. Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Disability, Virtual Reality and Associated Technologies. 2016.
- W. Engelke; M. Flatken; A.S García; C. Bar; A. Gerndt. Scientific Visualization for Atmospheric Data Analysis in Collaborative Virtual Environments. Geophysical Research Abstracts. Vol. 18, EGU General Assembly 2016.
- M. Cencetti; C. Bar; I. Musso; V. Basso; A. Gerndt; S. Schneegans; W. Engelke; A.S. García. CROSS DRIVE: A Collaborative Virtual Reality Workplace for Space Science Data Exploitation and Rover Operations Engineering. 7th International Systems & Concurrent Engineering for Space Applications Conference. 2016.
- A.S. García; A.J. Fairchild; S. Campion; R. Wolff, T. Fernando; D.J. Roberts. Non-verbal communication in space planning and operation meetings using immersive collaborative virtual environments. The Second Virtual Social Interaction Workshop. MediaCity, Manchester, UK, 2016.
- D.J. Roberts, R. Wolff, A.J. Fairchild, A.S. Garcia, J. Dodiya, and T. Fernando. Collaborative Telepresence Workspaces for Space Operation and Science. IEEE VR 2015. Provence (France). March 2015.
- A.S. García, D.J. Roberts, T. Fernando, C. Bar, R. Wolff, J. Dodiya, W. Engelke and A. Gerndt. A Collaborative Workspace Architecture for Strengthening Collaboration among Space Scientists. IEEE Aerospace Conference 2015. Montana (USA). March 2015.
- W. Engelke; A.S. García; R. Wolff; C. Bar; T. Fernando; D.J. Roberts; A. Gerndt. Scientific Visualization for Space Science Data Analysis in Collaborative Virtual Environments. IEEE Visualization 2015.
After my time at the THINKlab, I work as a Research Fellow in the University of Castilla-La Mancha in Spain, where I will try to get a Lecturer position.