Dr. Che Zulkhairi Abdullah
Che background is in design and development, which can be traced back to his academic background in functional design, analysis, programming and robotic. Che was an academic at Multimedia University Malaysia between 1999-2008 and 2014-2015 in the subject area of Film & animation, Game, Virtual Reality and Interface Design. He was working as Research Fellow for two different funded projects (EPSRC and IOSH) at The University of Nottingham from 2016-2018.
His current research is on distributed collaborative environment for analysing near real-time 3D satellite data for disaster interventions. This research will explore how the near-real time data can be processed in order to construct a true situation on the ground during live disasters.
In the past, Che has contributed in building community-resilience in Malaysia. He has developed several low-technology apparatus and conducted workshop for community preparedness. Che has provided consultation and training on accessible technology for disaster management to NGOs in Malaysia.
Advisor, BBNGO Affiliate of NGO in Malaysia.
International Scientific Technical Committee – International Conference on Geomatics & Geospatial Technology (GGT) 2018) Malaysia.
- Visualizations for VR, AR, MR and XR
- Interactive design with special interest in tangible, Haptic, Digital Manikin, Cobot, SLAM and ADAS
- Interactive 3D Mapping with GIS/Remote Sensing-support and WebGL visualizations
- Data Analysis in the areas of Image, PointCloud and Mesh analysis
- Community-based Disaster Resilience and Strategy
- Design and Project Management based on Triz, Six Sigma and Agile
- Human Factors, Sensory and Multi-modality
- Python development for Robotic, Analysis and integration with 3D simulation
- Multimedia University Malaysia (Internal funding) 2000 -. on the topic of Interactive Documentary, 2000
- Multimedia University Malaysia (Internal funding) HC11 autonomous scaled-model vehicle, 2002
- Multimedia University Malaysia (Internal funding) 2003-2006 – CI. on the topic of HC11 and LEGO tangible interface, 2003-2006
- Multimedia University Malaysia (Internal funding) – Arduino-based assistive tool for non-computer based 3D printing tool for Artist, 2003-2006
- Multimedia University Malaysia (Internal funding) – Investigating the method for capturing artisan’s hand/tooling movements, 2015
- Development of disaster-relief shelter system (Malaysia – PRGS/1/2015/SSI11/MMU/03/1) 2015
- Modular relief-shelter design (Malaysia – FRGS/1/2015/SSI11/UIAM/01/1) 2015
- UK EPSRC project (EP/N000549X/1) Sensory Illusions (2016-2017)
- UK IOSH Virtual Environments (VEs) in engaging and effective training using cost-effective and accessible solutions. (2017-2018)
Qualifications and Memberships
- B.Sc. Housing Building and Planning (Architecture) (University Science of Malaysia, USM, Malaysia 1993).
- Thesis – Design of a broadcast TV station (interactive system).
- M.Sc. Remote Sensing and Geographic Information System (GIS) (University Putra of Malaysia, UPM, Malaysia 2005).
- Thesis – Development of a near-earth webcam-based remote sensing system using Visual Basic.
- PhD Mechanical + Manufacturing Engineering (The University of Birmingham, UK. Dec 2013).
- Thesis – Development of a Visual Python 3D simulation software for analysing a hybrid Hexapod robot movement and singularity. Development of methods for finding dynamic singularities based on case studies for lower-limb rehabilitation and machining path planning.
- 11/02/2010 – University of Birmingham Talent Pool Training Program
- 27/05/2010 – Talent Pool Master Class Series – Seminar 1 by Graham Kilford
- 20-21/10/2010 – Enterprising Birmingham / Midlands Universities Medici Training– Module 1 – Identifying commercial potential
- 20-21/10/ 2010 – Enterprising Birmingham / Midlands Universities Medici Training – Module 2 – Analysis and development of a commercial idea
- 28/10/2010 – PricewaterhouseCooper Business Plan Training
- 26/01/2011 – Enterprising Birmingham / Midlands Universities Medici Training – Module 5 – Presenting the business case University of Birmingham
- A Virtual Environment with haptic feedback for better distance . Che Abdullah, Glyn Lawson, Tessa Roper. EICS ’17, June 26-29, 2017, Lisbon, Portugal.
- A Virtual Environment with haptic feedback for better distance. Tessa Roper, Glyn Lawson, Che Abdullah. DIS’17 Companion, June 10-14, 2017, Edinburgh, United Kingdom.
- Multimodal “Sensory Illusions” for Improving Spatial Awareness in Virtual Environments“. Glyn Lawson, Tessa Roper, Che Abdullah. ECCE ’16: Proceedings of the European Conference on Cognitive.
- A Virtual Environment With Haptic Feedback For Improving Distance Estimation In Engineering Design. Che Abdullah, Glyn Lawson, Tessa Roper. Poster. Industrial Systems in the Digital Age Conference 2017.
- Path’s Slicing Analysis as a Therapist’s Intervention Tool for Robotic Rehabilitation. CheZulkhairi Abdullah, Alireza Rastegarpanah, Hamid Rakhodaei, Mozafar Saadat, Alberto Borboni. The 26th International Conference on Robotics, Alpe-Adria-Danube Region, RAAD 2017, 2017. (https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=vW0uDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA1043&lpg=PA1043&dq=che+zulkhairi&source=bl&ots=oD-w3mwz9Z&sig=loS52wwWsFrD79xlXcQ-eyoe3mM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiX4JuDoPLVAhXnC8AKHRavAzs4ChDoAQgnMAA#v=onepage&q=che%20zulkhairi&f=false)
- Path planning of the hybrid parallel robot for ankle rehabilitation. 2014 Hamid Rakhodaei, Mozafar Saada, Alireza Rastegarpanah and Che Zulkhairi Abdullah, Robotica / FirstView Article http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0263574714001210 / https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/robotica/article/path-planning-of-the-hybrid-parallel-robot-for-ankle-rehabilitation/25ADB3A4F31CABB651D9155A4D9F7DB6
- Motion Simulation of a Hybrid Parallel Robot for Ankle Rehabilitation. ASME 2013.
- Mixed Reality CAD System Abdullah, Che Zulkhairi and Abdul Rahim, Asiah and Mohd Yusoff, Noraini and Mahadzir, Mazlan and Mohd Fadzil, Faizal Athar. 4th International Conference on Universal Design in the Built Environment 2015, 23-24 Nov 2015, Putrajaya. (Unpublished)
- http://etheses.bham.ac.uk/4665/ (Parametric sweep search for parallel robot workspace determination).
- Stroke-Patient communication device. Silver Medal EINIC Malaysia 2007)
- Development of Mixed Reality Unity3D system which has been incorporated into KOSMA JAWI project, Silver Medal RIID Melaka 2013 assistive cutting project. Exhibition of the technology during this event – KOSMA Korea and KOSMA Malaysia. 2013
- Assistive System for optimizing Person-with-Disabilities navigation inside a PwD’s toilet. Gold Medal RIID Melaka 2014 & Silver Medal ITEX2015.
Workshops and Training
- Temporary shelter project for Flood Victims named ‘Payung Kehidupan’ which appeared on Malaysia’s newspaper – Bernama, Harian Metro and New Sarawak Tribune. (2016)
- Various survival kit, NGO standard-operation-procedure, logistic and shelter design for Flood Victim and supporting NGOs. This includes the development and deployment of Solar Distilled Water, Water Raft, Yurt and toilet design. Training and Workshop activities for promoting community resilience. (2016)