Dr Yingchun Ji
t: +44 (0)161 295 4841
Dr Yingchun Ji joined the University of Salford in September 2010 as a Lecturer of Building Services and Performance Simulations at the School of Built Environment. Previously, from late 2001, Dr Ji studied at De Montfort University for his PhD in Computational Fluid Dynamics Modelling of Displacement Natural Ventilation of Buildings, and then worked there for five years as Research Fellow, carried out a number of research projects:
- Building ventilation modelling using Large Eddy Simulations.
- Dynamic thermal simulations for the design of healthcare building in which future weather data were used to investigate their potential impacts on the current design criteria.
- Time dependent ventilation flow modelling for a single space with a localised heat source, collaborated with Dr Nigel Kaye, from Dept. Civil Engineering, Clemson University, USA.
- Advanced natural ventilation modelling for a new low-energy building design in Hangzhou, south China. Both CFD and dynamic thermal simulation tools were used to conduct the investigation.
- Evaluation of eddy viscosity turbulence models for modelling differentially heated air cavities, initiative research.
- Numerical investigations for double skin façades and building ventilation related applications, collaboration with Loughborough University.
Dr Ji’s current research interests include: Natural and hybrid ventilation design and modelling; dynamic thermal modelling of buildings (energy, thermal comfort, adaptation), and low carbon building design and consultancy, building retrofit, zero carban technologies, standard weather data.
Qualifications and Memberships
- BEng PGCert PhD CEng MCIBSE FHEA
- Ji Y, Swan W, Fitton R & Fernando T. ‘Assessing the requirements from ‘BB101’ 2006 and 2016 for naturally ventilated schools in the UK’. Building Services Engineering Research & Technology (BSERT), submitted in September 2018 (under review).
- Li C, Xiu Z, Ji Y, Chan A & Wang F. ‘Analyzing the Deformation of Multilayered Saturated Sandy Soils under Large Building Foundation’ KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, submitted August 2018 (under review).
- Munonye C, Ji Y. ‘Adaptive Thermal Comfort Evaluation of Typical Public Primary School Classrooms In IMO State , Nigeria’. African Journal Of Environmental Research, Vol 1, No. 1, p. 11-24, 2018.
- Ji Y, Korolija I & Zhang Y. ‘Thermal responses of single zone offices on existing near-extreme summer weather data’. International Journal of Building Simulations, pp 1-21, online version, March, 2017. doi:10.1007/s12273-017-0367-y.
- Ogbonda U J & Ji Y. ‘The effect of gas flare on the health of schoolchildren in the Niger delta area of Nigeria’. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science Research, Vol 3, Iss 8, pp 10 -15, 2017. ISSN : 2455-2070.
- Marshall A, Fitton R, Swan W, Farmer D, Johnston D, Benjaber M & Ji Y. ‘Domestic Building Fabric Performance: Closing the Gap between the in situ Measured and Modelled Performance’, Energy & Buildings 2017, Vol 150, pp. 307-317. doi: 10.1016/j.enbuild.2017.06.028.
- Ji Y, Zhang Y, Korolija I & Futcher J. ‘Design summer year weather – outdoor warmth ranking metrics and their numerical verification’. Building Services Engineering Research & Technology (BSERT), 37(6), 639-663, 2016. doi: 10.1177/0143624416648179.
- Ji Y, Fitton R, Swan W & Webster P. ‘Assessing overheating of the UK existing dwellings – A case study of replica Victorian end terrace house’. Building & Environment, Vol 77, pp. 1-11, Jul 2014. doi: 10.1016/j.buildenv.2014.03.012.
- Ji Y. ‘CFD Modelling of Natural Convection in Air Cavities’. Journal of CFD Letters, Vol 6(1), pp.15-31, 2014.
- Kaye NB, Flynn M, Cook M & Ji Y. ‘The role of diffusion on the interface thickness in a ventilated filing box’, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 652, pp. 195-205, Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- Ji Y, Lomas KJ & Cook MJ. “Hybrid ventilation for low energy building design in south China”, Building & Environment, 44(11), 2245-2255, 2009, ISBN 0360-1323.
- Lomas KJ & Ji Y, “Resilience of naturally ventilated buildings to climate change: Advanced natural ventilation and hospital wards”, Energy & Buildings, 41(6), 629-653, 2009, ISSN 0378-7788.
- Kaye NB, Ji Y and Cook MJ. “Numerical simulation of transient flow development in a naturally ventilated room”, Building & Environment, 44(5), 889-897, 2009.
- Ji Y, Cook MJ, Hanby VI, Infield DG, Loveday DL and Mei L. “CFD modelling of naturally ventilated double-skin facades with venetian blinds”, Journal of Building Performance Simulation, 1 (3), 185-196, 2008.
- Hanby VI, Cook MJ, Infield DG, Ji Y, Loveday DL, Mei L, and Holmes MJ. “Nodal network and CFD simulation of airflow and heat transfer in double skin facades with blinds” Building Services Engineering Research & Technology (BSERT), 29 (1), 45-59, 2008.
- Ji Y and Cook MJ, “Numerical studies of displacement natural ventilation in multi-storey buildings connected to an atrium”, BSERT, 28 (3), 207-222, 2007.
- Ji Y, Cook MJ and Hanby V, “CFD modelling of natural displacement ventilation in an enclosure connected to an atrium”, Building & Environment, 42 (3), 1158 – 1172, 2007.
- Cook MJ, Ji Y and Hunt GR, “CFD modelling of natural ventilation: combined wind and buoyancy forces”, International Journal of Ventilation, 1 (3), 169-180, 2003.
- Ji Y, Korolija I & Zhang Y. ‘Evaluation of the new Design Summer Year weather data using parametrical buildings’ IRWAS 2017, Salford Quays, UK. 11-12 September 2017
- Munonye C & Ji Y. ‘Thermal Comfort Evaluation of typical Public Primary School Buildings in Imo State, Nigeria’ 2nd International Conference on the Environment: Evaluation of Millennium Development Goals, Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University Uli, Nigeria, June 1-3, 2017
- Ogbonda U & Ji Y. ‘A critique of the ventilation system used for public schools around gas flaring sites in the Nigeria Niger Delta Area’ Healthy Building Europe 2017, Lublin, Poland , 2-5 July 2017
- Munonye C & Ji Y. ‘Rating the Components of Indoor Environmental Quality in Student Classrooms in the Warm Humid Climatic Zone of Uli, Nigeria’ IPGRC 2017, Salford Quays, UK. 14-15 September 2017
- Ogbonda U & Ji Y. ‘Specific Criteria for Public School Construction in Polluted Environment: A Case of the Niger Delta area of Nigeria’ IPGRC 2017, Salford Quays, UK. 14-15 September 2017
- Munonye C & Ji Y. ‘Adaptive Choice of Windows and Hindrances to Thermal Comfort in Naturally Ventilated University Classrooms in Uli, Nigeria’. FESCON 2017, Anambra State, Nigeria, 1-3 June, 2017
- Ji Y & Webster P. ‘Comparative thermal response of internally and externally insulated houses’ Retrofit 2012, Salford Quays, 24 – 26 January 2012
- Kaye NB, Flynn M, Cook M & Ji Y, ‘The role of turbulent diffusion on thermal comfort in naturally ventilated buildings’, The Fifth International Symposium on Computational Wind Engineering (CWE2010), Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA May 23-27, 2010
- Ji Y & Lomas KJ “Current and likely future performance of advanced natural ventilation” for the 11th IBPSA Conference, 27-30 July 2009, Glasgow, UK
- Zhang Y, Novieto D & Ji Y. “Human environmental heat transfer simulation with CFD – the advances and challenges” the 11th IBPSA Conference, 27-30 July 2009, Glasgow, UK
- Ji Y, Lomas KJ and Cook MJ. “Hybrid ventilation for low energy building design in south China”, Proc. of the first international conference on building energy and environment (COBEE), pp. 1222 – 1229, ISBN: 978-0-9816881, 13-16, July 2008, Dalian, China
- Mei L, Infield DG, Loveday DL, Hanby VI, Cook MJ, Ji Y and Holmes MJ. “Experimental study of airflow and heat transfer in a double skin façade with blinds” the CISBAT Conference, 4 & 5 September 2007, Lausanne, Switzerland
- Ji Y, Cook MJ, Hanby VI, Infield DG, Loveday DL and Mei L. “CFD Modelling of Double-Skin Facades with Venetian Blinds” Proc. of the 10th IBPSA Conference, pp. 1491-1498, ISBN: 0-9771706-2-4. 3-6 September, 2007, Beijing, China
- Zhang Y & Ji Y. “CFD model-based natural ventilation control – the possibility, strategies, and potential” SCANVAC Conference, Roomvent, 13–15 June 2007, Helsinki, Finland, ISBN 978-952-99898-0-5
- Hanby VI, Cook MJ, Infield DG, Ji Y, Loveday DL, Mei L and Holmes MJ. “Nodal network and CFD simulation of airflow and heat transfer in double skin facades with blinds” Proceedings of the 7th System Simulation in Buildings, University of Liege, 11-13 December 2006, Liege, Belgium
- Ji Y and Cook MJ, “Atrium-assisted natural ventilation of multi-storey buildings” Proc 10th Int Conf on Indoor Air Quality and Climate, pp 1311-1316, 4-9 September 2005, Beijing, China, ISBN 7-89494-830-6
- Cook MJ, Ji Y & Hunt GR, “CFD Modelling of Buoyancy-driven Natural Ventilation Opposed by Wind”, Proc Ninth International IBPSA Conference, pp 207-214, 15-18 August 2005, Montreal, Canada, ISBN 2-553-01152-0
- Ji Y, “Numerical studies on natural ventilation flow in an enclosure with both buoyancy and wind effects”, the national conference of the CIBSE, – Delivering Sustainable Construction, 29-30 September 2004, London, UK (poster & paper – Poster won the first prize)
- Ji Y, Cook MJ and Hunt GR, “CFD modelling of Atrium-assisted Natural Ventilation”, Proc 9th Int Conf on Air Distribution in Rooms, pp 299-300, 5-8 September 2004, Coimbra, Portugal, ISBN 972-97973-1-5
- Ji Y (2010) Melton Post 16 Campus Centre – Natural ventilation analysis using CFD
- Ji Y and Rees S (2009), Llandudno Junction Welsh Assembly Government Office: Thermal Performance Analysis.
- Ji Y (2009), “Nottinghill Prep School – Dynamic Thermal Analysis for Ventilation”, Consultancy report for Passivent limited.
- Rees S and Ji Y (2008), “Co2nserve: Thermal and Ventilation performance Analysis”, Consultancy report for Passivent limited.
- Ji Y and Cropper P (2008), “Ventilation Analysis for Wellacre Post 16 Vocational College, Consultancy report for Ansell & Bailey Chartered Architects.
- Ji Y, Lomas KJ and Cook MJ (2008), ‘Dynamic thermal simulations of the Science and Technology Museum”, consultancy report for Hangzhou Energy Conservation & Environmental Protection Investment Co Ltd, China.
- Cook MJ and Ji Y (2008), ‘Ventilation analysis for Stublach Gas Storage Facility’, consultancy report for Costain Oil, Gas and Process Ltd.
- Lomas KJ and JI Y (2008), “Exploration of the feasibility of natural ventilation for maintaining thermal comfort”, consultancy report for Rhodes University Library, Grahamstown, South Africa.
- Ji Y, Lomas KJ and Cook MJ (2007), “CFD Results and Design Recommendations for the Science and Technology Museum”, consultancy report for Hangzhou Energy Conservation & Environmental Protection Investment Co Ltd, China.
- Ji Y, Lomas KJ and Cook MJ (2007), “Dynamic thermal simulations of Concept Design for the Science and Technology Museum”, consultancy report for Hangzhou Energy Conservation & Environmental Protection Investment Co Ltd, China.
- Cook MJ, Ji Y and Rees SJ (2007), “Environmental modelling for Bedford Campus Centre”, consultancy report for Environmental Design Partnership.
- Cook MJ, Wright AJ and Ji Y (2006), Berkhamsted Collegiate School: environmental modelling consultancy report.
- Cook MJ, Cropper PC, Ji Y and Mardaljevic J (2006), “Air flow, thermal and lighting modelling of the Fifth Avenue Primary School, Hull City Council”.