Dr Claudia Trillo
Dr. Claudia Trillo is an internationally recognized researcher, with a proven track record and an extensive network of collaborators. She began her research career in 1994 as an assistant researcher on a project run at Nordregio -a leading European research centre- and have now a very forward-looking research trajectory with multiple prestigious grants (+£1,2M£), many involving leading teams in the role of PI (+£380K). Since 1997 her research has been complemented by a strong commitment to knowledge transfer through constant engagement with enterprise delivered though high-profile consultancy and civil servant roles. She strongly believes in the transformative power of research and aims at achieving a major goal: to create innovative sustainable urban development and regeneration tools and methods to preserve local identity and cultural capital, along with the social, environmental and economic benefits.
- Innovation-Driven Regeneration
- Heritage- Led / Culture- Led Sustainable Urban Regeneration
- IT and sustainable spatial planning
- Housing and Sustainable Urban Regeneration
Research Projects (current and previous)
- MAPS LED (2015-2019), role: SOBE Principal Investigator, Horizon 2020 program. Total budget, €1,512,000; SOBE budget: €324,000.
- IT INDIAN HERITAGE PLATFORM: Enhancing cultural resilience in India by applying digital technologies to the Indian tangible and intangible heritage (2018-2021), role: Co-Investigator (25%), AHRC, Total budget: £183,267.
- IT-Living Platform (2017), role: Principal Investigator, HEIF grant, University of Salford. Budget: £44,000.
- PRIN grant from the Italian Ministry for the Education, University and Research, MIUR PRIN Call 2015 (2017- 2020). Total budget: €991,535. Role: Member of the end users group on the topic: Cultural Heritage values and related costs in case of natural threats; Social balance, Cultural Heritage protection and natural hazards.
- CLUDs, Commercial Local Urban Districts (2010-2014), role: Co-PI, 7th European Research Framework Program. Total budget: €638,400.
- BESECURE, role: researcher on a contract, financed by the EU, 7th FP (2010-2013). The project addressed urban safety in European cities. Total budget: €144,000.
- Cilento LabScape, Italian National funds FARO. The project tested a Living Lab in a UNESCO Natural Site, the Cilento National Park.
- HIDDEN (2010), role: researcher on a contract, 7th FP The project investigated “hidden” innovation in entrepreneurial local initiatives.
- Transfer of Development Rights and Urban Form (2003-2009), Role: Principal Investigator, University of Naples. The project generated courses offered to practitioners through the Council of Engineers and the Fondazione Astengo.
Qualifications and Memberships
- Qualified at Associate Professor Level in Italy (M.D. 76/2012)
- Italian Chartered Architect; RIBA; ARB Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Visiting Research Fellow of the Institute of Innovative Governance (IIG) and the School of Public Affairs at San Diego State University
- Member of the International Doctorate on Urban Regeneration and Economic Development of the University Mediterranea of Reggio Calabria
- Member of Istituto Nazionale di Urbanistica and ICOMOS
- Trillo C (2018) The rise of the co-creative class: Sustainable Innovation- Led Regeneration, in: New Metropolitan Perspective, Springer, Vol 1, 411- 421. ISBN: 978-3-319-92098-6
- Trillo C (2017) International property market- driven regeneration: a challenge to sustainable urban development?, in: Journal of Urban Regeneration and Renewal, Vol. 10, 4, pp.1–10. ISSN 1752-9638
- Dean K, Trillo C, Bichard E (2017) Assessing the Value of Housing Schemes through Sustainable Return on Investment: A Path towards Sustainability-Led Evaluations?, in: Sustainability, 9(12), p. 2264. ISSN 2071-1050
- Agbali M, Arayici Y, Trillo C (2017) Taking the Advancement of Sustainable Smart Cities (SCs) Seriously: The Implications of Emerging Technologies, in: Tamap Journal of Engineering: Vol: 21. ISSN:2602-2362
- Trillo C (2016) Quality of public spaces and Sustainable Urban Development: success and failures in fighting social exclusion, in: International Journal of Sustainable Development and Planning, Vol.12, 4, p.829-838. ISSN, 17437601
- Esposito De Vita G, Trillo C, Martinez-Perez A (2016) Community planning and urban design in contested places. Some insights from Belfast, in: Journal of Urban Design, Vol. 21, 3, p. 320-334. ISSN 14699664
- Esposito De Vita G, Trillo C, Oppido S (2016) Urban regeneration and civic economics: a community- led approach in Boston and Naples, in: Journal of Comparative Cultural Studies in Architecture, p. 28-40. ISSN18658806
- Trillo C (2015) Non-financial compensation, social housing and urban design quality: beyond “perequazione”, in: European Planning Studies, 23:8, pp. 1627-1645. ISSN 14695944
- Trillo C (2014) Urban Regeneration and new partnerships among public institutions, local entrepreneurs and communities, in: Advanced Engineering Forum, vol. 11, p. 303 – 313. ISSN 22349898
- Trillo C (2013) Urban sprawl management, smart growth: challenges from the implementation phase, in: International Journal of Society Systems Science, vol. V5 N3 2013, p. 261-282. ISSN 1756-2511
Book chapters (selected)
- Petti L, Trillo C and Di Mauro M (2018) Heritage and Reconstruction: Different Perspectives, in: Living under the Threat of Earthquakes, Kruhl J H, Adhikari R, Dorka U E (eds), p. 101-116, Springer, Cham. ISBN 9783319680439
- Trillo C (2016) Smart Specialisation Strategies as drivers for Sustainable Urban Regeneration, in: Sustainable Urbanisation, InTech. ISBN 9789535147572
- Authored/ Co-authored books (selected)
- Bevilacqua C & Trillo C (2012). Spatial Planning and territorial development. Territorial dimension, development policies, spatial planning. NAPOLI: Giannini Editore. ISBN 9788874316199
- Trillo C (ed.) (2009) Transfer Development Rights and Urban Design, Florence, Alinea. ISBN/ISSN: 9788860554055
- Trillo C (2003) Tourism territories, Firenze, Alinea. ISBN 888125736X